Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

Pain behind my right ear

I'm having pain directly behind my right ear when I touch my scalp and a small spot behind my lover left ear when I touch it (more on the head and no ear pain)

I have been dealing with sinus issues for over a year and have had the surgery.

I'm currently on Avelox for a sinus infection and have 3 days left.

The pain on the right started 2 days ago and the pain on the left yesterday. The pain on the right is about an 8 and the pain on the left is a 3. I'm worried that the Avelox has somthing to do with it.

Any suggestions? I'm a 34 year old female in good health besides my sinus issues.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

Did you have any ear issue before? Is there any swelling? Redness? or other symptom? Was any test done?

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, none at all and it feels like my head not the ear. Dull pain that is constant on the right and when I touch it it is more intense and the left only hurts when I touch it but it lower in the left. My ears have no pain
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The pain in this part can come from different causes. Pain behind the ear can come from inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone or mastoiditis. This usually occur when you have a middle ear infection. When you do not have any such history it is unlikely to be the factor. Avelox also does not seem to be the cause. Pain with tenderness can be due to vasculitis. Temporal arteritis can be possible if it is more on the head side. Compression of nerve as it leaves the spine can cause pain here. Other causes can be in the brain or vascular headache. Stress, anxiety can be issues too but tenderness is uncommon. As the pain is much, I would advise to consult doctor for an examination. Meanwhile, you can take tylenol to get some relief.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have you heard of this at all when it comes to people with sinus issues? How is temporal arteritis caused? Can it be genetic?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Sinusitis pain is more towards the front near the forehead, over the maxilla or face. Cause of temporal arteritis is not definitely clear but can be due to immunological factors.There is familial preponderance in some cases.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do they diagnose this? Can tension headaches sometimes cause pain behind the ear?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Tension headache can cause headache in sides or back. Temporal arteritis can be diagnosed by examination of doctor. Doctor can feel the tender artery. In some cases biopsy is used.