Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a hypodense lesion in the liver that is 3.5. cm by 2.4.

I have a hypodense lesion in the liver that is 3.5. cm by 2.4. cm that was found on an abdominal CT scan, which does not appear to be cystic. In October I had several pulmonary embolisms. My doctor ordered the scan as he said blood clots can be an early sign of cancer. I am currently being treated for the Sumner Variant of CIDP and take prednisone, Imuran, and IVIG. I have had Doppler studies on my legs and right arm because of a portacath and all have come back negative as the source of the clots. I am being referred to a liver specialist. Is a hypodense liver mass usually caused by a fatty liver (lipoma) or are there other causes for this type of mass? What further studies can I expect to be done? Is a liver biopsy looming in my future? The thought of a liver biopsy scares me
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Do you have the summary part of the CT report that you can type in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the right hepatic lobe inferiorly, there is a 3.4 by 2.5 cm hypodense mass which is not well characterized without contrast. This mass does not appear to be a simple cyst. In the right hepatic lobe, more inferiorly, there is a 1cm low-density lesion suggestive of a cyst. There is no biliary dilatation. The spleen, pancreas, and adrenal glands are unremarkable.

Impression: indeterminate hypodense MADD in the right hepatic lobe. Recommend further evaluation with MRI of the abdomen without and with contrast to characterize this mass. Adjacent 1 cm hepatic cyst.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oops, meant mass, not MADD
OK
I see what happened.
It was done without contrast
So basically you can tell what this is
cancer
hemangioma

about what you can say is that it is probably not a calcified mass.
But you can not say it is cancer at this point
an adenoma
focal nodular hyperplasia

both benign

You'll need the contrast to see, hence the recommendation of Mri with and without contrast.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc