PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

Painful swelling left side of face. What is the cause?

PK :

Hello

PK :

Welcome to just answer

PK :

Please enter the chat

PK :

Since when do you have this swelling ?

PK :

Do you have any other complaints apart from the swelling and the pain ?

Customer:

slight swelling several weeks ago Dr prescribed antibiotics and ibuproven which did appear to alleviate it somewhat. However has come back with a vengence and whole side of face is swollen and painful, have trouble eating because of pain.

PK :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort .

PK :

Is there redness and warmth on that side of the face ?

Customer:

not redness but warmth

PK :

Have you had a problem with your sinuses or teeth or breathing in the recent past ?

Customer:

Tend to be a bit breathless

PK :

Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medications apart from the ones you have mentioned ?

Customer:

No

PK :

Okay

PK :

Thank you for the information

PK :

There are a few possibilities that need exclusion here .

PK :

This does seem to be an infection and could be a cellulitis of the face

PK :

Your doctor will need to work you up with blood tests to check for an infection and you may need more antibiotics if the tests do show up an infection

PK :

You should also get a check for your sinuses as well.

PK :

As you are breathless the lungs need to be evaluated as well for which an X ray will help

PK :

At this point of time you should see your doctor at the earliest as it does seem to be an infection and you will need antibiotics at the earliest in order to get rid of this for good

PK :

The previous course of antibiotics probably would not have helped cure the infection cause of the bacteria not being susceptible to the particular antibiotic

PK :

Thus further testing and antibiotics will in all likeliness help at this point of time .

PK :

I hope you are getting my point ?

PK :

you there?

PK :

Please reply .

Customer:

sorry have suffered from low blood pressure in the past and was feeling quite faint for a minute - had to lie down, just talking about this brought it on

PK :

Oh I am so sorry ...

PK :

Please have liquids to help you feel better with the low blood pressure and help bring it up

PK :

I hope you have gone through my answer...

PK :

?

PK :

Are you there ?

Customer:

will make an appointment at the earliest,,my husband died suddenly in Sept and have been feeling vulnerable ever since Thank you for your advice will act on it. many thanks