Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

lump on the bottom of my leg, right above the ankle..right leg..legs

I noticed a little bump/lump on the bottom of my leg, right above the ankle. This bump is only on my right leg, and it is not painful when I press on it. I recently got my legs lasered, and the lady mentioned it may be a some kind of tumor, or clot...she suggested I get this checked up.

What could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Is there any color to the bump?
Is it soft or hard?
Was the bump present before you had the laser done?
Have you ever injured your ankle?
What is the size of the bump? Can you move it around?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, there is no color, it is soft.
I think the bump appeared a while back, but I just thought it was a muslce lump, so I never really took notice of it. It is soft when I press it, and it does not hurt, but I feel a little tingly feeling towards my toes when I do press it hard enough. It almost feels like it's muscle tissue or something when I press into it. have never injured my ankle.
I would say the size is about the size of a quarter coin.

Thank you,
Rachel
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Rachel,

There are many different types of benign soft tissue growths that can develop.
If it feels rubbery/soft, one of the more common tumors (benign) is called a lipoma. This is a fatty growth that occurs beneath the skin and typically will not cause any symptoms. Occasionally, they can become painful if they are near nerves or if they are large.

If you see a very tiny hole in the top of the lump then this could be an epidermoid cyst. These are also benign and are filled with a white material. These are more commonly found on the torso.

A clot will not feel soft...it will feel firm and it would not be the size of a quarter...Highly doubtful that this is what it is.

There are many other types of growths. But from your description it sounds like it could be a lipoma which requires no treatment.

We can usually identify lipomas by exam. If this is not clearly a lipoma, your doctor may refer you for removal which will establish the diagnosis as well.
It does not sound urgent unless it is enlarging or becoming painful.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States