Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

what are the side effects of drinking clorox bleach

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Drinking Chlorox bleach will cause intense burning on the inside.

Mild diluted bleach will only cause a burning sensation in the stomach.

But the stronger the solution is, the more the burning.

Strong bleach will produce a chemical burn. The stronger the solution the more the burn.

It will cause severe pain in the mouth, pharynx, esophagus and stomach. This burn has long term effects also - it causes constriction specially of the esophagus which leads to inability to take food and water and the patient has a very hard time, requiring treatment throughout his/her life.

Something to be avoided at all costs. If any such incident has occurred, then the patient must be taken to the ER immediately.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
the answer was dumn you want to charge me 55 dollars and this so call expert is gonna tell me something i already know and I'm not even a doctor I slso know it will efect the central nervious system.. "thats like me asking u what will happen if i catch a cold .. & your reply is you will cough" GIVE ME A BREAK HERE ..THE ANAWER SUCKS
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I wonder if you received the other experts entire post.
He did mention more such as lifelong damage
Even cancer of the esophagus with enough irritation from that damage would also be possible.
Enough could cause death as well, and what you are describing is a poisoning situation...
yes it is quite obvious that no one should drink bleach....

There are indeed other symptoms, and what the previous did not get to is body as a whole
besides burning
and the obvious
slow heart beat [bradycardia]
cough
breathing difficulty
loss of vision
water filling the lungs
vomiting
blood in stool
low blood pressure and circulatory collapse.
chest pain
shock
delirium
coma
death

Hope this is extensive enough
Let me know if it is not
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.