Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

What can cause a lump at the base of the second toe, and is

What can cause a lump at the base of the second toe, and is tender to touch, and shows swelling up to the joint near the top of the toe? The lump is at the base of the toe, on the underneath area of my left foot. Also, if you look down at the toes on both feet, there appears to be swelling showing through on the top of the foot, of the same toe. The lump appeared about 3 or 4 days ago, and is getting more painful, from walking on it, as the days go by. I wear low heel feet support shoes, most of the time as I have flat feet.
is there redness and swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No redness, but tender to touch and is swollen. The area of the lump is about the size of a tall man's thumb nail or 10 to 20cent piece in diameter and the swelling seems to be travelling up the toe towards the joint (about 1.5cm) or 1/2 an inch.
So just to clarify, this is not in the joint at all
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing
no injury at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, not at all.
And as to this lump
is it round, marble like, or something else
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is round, tender to touch, even towards the baby toe, on the padded section, when I checked it. When you say "marble like", do you mean, in relation to the feel of hardness of the lump? Does this help?
Mainly the roundness
not hart but roundness indicates this is likely a cyst of the tendon sheath
called a ganglion cyst

These will often resolve on their own.
Sometimes they need a steroid injection.

Very rarely they need surgical removal..

Don't irritate it.

Have a doc see it visually and feel it to make sure this is what it is.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.