911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have a severe pain in my right foot when I try to walk and

Customer Question

I have a severe pain in my right foot when I try to walk and even when lifting my foot when sitting. When touching the top right part at the back of the foot 2 inches from my ankle it is really sore. At the moment I have to drag my foot when moving to reduce the pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

have you had an injury?

911DOC :

how long has this been going on?

911DOC :

is the foot red or swollen?

911DOC :

do you have any chronic medical problems?

Customer :

No injury. I just wakened the other night and almost could not stand. Foot is a bit red and a wee bit more swollen than the left foot. however vains in the right foot are more prominent than the left foot.

Customer :

I have no chronic medical problems thus far. please advise!

911DOC :

ok

911DOC :

have you ever heard of gout?

911DOC :

do any of your family members have it

911DOC :

?

Customer :

I have heard of gout but not sure of the causes or symptoms. No members of my family have ever had this.

911DOC :

take a peak at the link i will send....

911DOC :

yours is not a typical gout presentation as it usually first happens in the big toe.....

911DOC :

but it CAN happen around any joint....

911DOC :

and without injury i think this is something to consider.

911DOC :

i will stand by while you take a look HERE

Customer :

I Have had a look at the link which you have sent and I do not think that this is the issue with me. The pain, perhaps to be more specific, is in the middle between the small toe and the ankle on the upper right part of the right foot. Help!

911DOC :

well,

911DOC :

theres only so much i can do from here.....

911DOC :

how hard is it for you to see your GP or a provider of any kind this weekend.... because you need someone to see, touch, feel, and Xray your foot.

911DOC :

you should also try some ibuprofen (aka motrin) four times a day to see if that helps....

911DOC :

but without trauma this is a mystery....

911DOC :

and one that will yield to an exam and some tests....

911DOC :

but if it's not sounding like gout then without being able to see you i don't know if i can tell you what this is.

Customer :

Sincerely, Thank you for your help and advise. But if I May ask you one last question is there any link in what I have been experiencing to sciatica? (please excuse spelling if I have got this wrong)

911DOC :

no,

911DOC :

there cant possible be....

911DOC :

if your pain went from your buttocks down the back of your leg and into your foot, then i would say yes,

911DOC :

but your pain is so localized that it means there is inflammation in that specific part of your foot.

911DOC :

and the pain from a bulging or herniated disc.... sciatic pain.... is not made worse when you touch on the painful site, though it is made worse with movement.

Customer :

Thank You, 911DOC.

911DOC :

you are welcome.

911DOC :

if i have been helpful, please click on the 'accept' button so that JA will reimburse me for my time.

911DOC :

best to you.