Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Red blotches suddenly appeared on inside elbow. Healthy 41yr

Red blotches suddenly appeared on inside elbow. Healthy 41yr old otherwise who just returned to gym activity. I don't remember sucking my skin but that's what it looks like. What could it from?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

When did you notice it? How large it is? Is there any other symptom? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just today - appeared like a dermititis rash while I was doing a gym workout with a fitness instructor however I didn't point it out to her. Later it looks more like a circle of small red dots (the circle is about 2-3cm/1inch diameter and one side is darker and blotchier. No significant present or past illness. Can get dry dermititis type rashes however never looked like this. Also, tend to get small pimply skin top of arms but doesn't seem connected (that can be cleared with attention and less stress!!). It's like some nurse missed my vein (or punctured one a few times) - what do you think? Arm is aching but as I said I've just returned to gym so they both do!!
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Is the aching at the site of bruise? did you notice any insect or bite?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not really (more in the upper arm muscles - gym I guess). Doesn't appear to be any bites - no raised skin. Pressing doesn't hurt. Only on right inner elbow (not left). More red, even now (9hrs later) than grey.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The red blotch or bruising is due to extravasation of blood. Some people get easy bruising, often the cause is not found. Without trauma also , it can appear from sudden exertion, exercise. Vitamin deficiency can be a cause. If it is increasing in size or number or is accompanied by other symptoms you should get it checked by doctor. He can run blood tests for coagulation factor, platelets to exclude any such factor. Now you need to keep it at rest.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I wait till it completely disappears? Would you suggest avoiding this - reducing weight that I'm lifting for instance or if it repeats just see a Dr anyway?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
You can avoid exercise for the time being. If it repeats or if you notice other symptoms like increasing pain, swelling, itching or appearance of blotch in other areas, you need to consult doctor.