Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My left ear feels like it has water in it, it wont pop, last

Customer Question

My left ear feels like it has water in it, it wont pop, last night it was like I had a dixie cup over my ear? I cleaned them with ear wax remover but the left side is still the same, I use viagra and I am worried that this might be a side affect coming on? there is pressure in the ear, I can not hear me rub my fingers together anymore, Any suggestions would be helpful. My doctor I had before sent me for an ear test, they told me I am just loosing my hearing, but its not that type of condition.

Greg
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Do you have sinus congestion?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a little, it has been very windy here, I do feel pressure in the sinus area.
Okay. That is likely the cause. If you are having allergies and sinus congestion, then that would explain the ear fullness.

I would recommend that you try a couple medications together.

I would use claritin or zyrtec over the counter with a nasal spray like flonase. This should clear up the sinuses and relieve your ear problems.

If you have follow up questions, please ask prior to accepting.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I forgot to mention I also have a light case of vertigo going on, is this from the conjestion and pressure?

Yes, this could be. If you have congestion, pressure and inflammation in the ear causing vertigo.

However, you could also have something called Meniere's disease. This is an inner ear condition that often has both ear "fullness" or pain and vertigo. For this, you will need to see an ENT doctor for specialized therapy.