Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

ventral hernia..my rib cage..night right under my left breast bone

Customer Question

I think that I have a ventral hernia (it appears to be bulging out more to the center right under my rib cage the pain had been at night right under my left breast bone. I had not noticed any bulging until last evening. I had said it was a hiatal hernia? I have been taking over the counter acid reducers (Zantac). I am now a little more concernced.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 2 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Dr Jones :

Can you please provide more details about your symptoms?

Customer:

I am not having any nausea, I have some discomfort.

Customer:

I seem to have discomfort at night

Customer:

What other specfic questions can I answer?

Dr Jones :

You mean there is bulging under the skin in the region below ribs?

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr Jones :

Yes I am there.

Dr Jones :

Please be in chat so that we can discuss the issue.

Dr Jones :

Customer:

I suffer from IBS, but this does not seem to be IBS

Dr Jones :

Please provide the details.

Dr Jones :

Is there bulging under the skin in this region?

Customer:

Sorry, I did not see the response. I mean I looks like under the skin. Above my belly button.

Dr Jones :

You are step in and out of chat.Please be in the chat so that we can discuss this issue.

Dr Jones :

Does this bulge increase or decrease in size while coughing , straining or lifting weight etc?

Customer:

Yes, I think that I am no

Dr Jones :

Customer:

I am typing in the provided space, not sure why it is out of order.

Dr Jones :

okay.

Customer:

I have not noticed it doing that, but I have not watched it?

Dr Jones :

Its not hiatus hernia for sure.

Dr Jones :

Hiatus hernia does present outside the body.Its not seen from outside.

Customer:

This is frustrating, Why is the chat out of order?

Dr Jones :

Current bulge is not related to hiatus hernia , acidity or IBS.

Dr Jones :

You are jumping in and out of chat.Please be on this page.

Dr Jones :

Some thing is happening on my screen.Are you jumping in and out of the chat?

Customer:

How can I communicate with you, everything is out of order? I have not watched the bulging while lifting( so I am not sure if it increases in size).

Customer:

The bulging is under the skin right above the belly button, before getting to the rib cage.

Dr Jones :

There are two possibilities with such bulges.If its changing in size then its hernia from anterior abdominal wall hernia.If its not changing in size then it can be subcutaneous lipoma.

Dr Jones :

A clinical evaluation and sonography can help to confirm the diagnosis.

Dr Jones :

Did you get my reply?

Customer:

It might be fat? but the discomfort what is the ventral hernia?

Dr Jones :

Ventral hernia is protrusion of abdominal content through the weakened portion of abdominal wall.Fat is unlikely as there is discomfort.Since there is discomfort possibility of hernia is more likely.

Dr Jones :

Sorry for inconvinence.I guess it some technical error that's interrupting chat.

Dr Jones :

Please go through my previous reply and ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

Are we still in session?

Dr Jones :

Yes,I am there.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Dr Jones :

Are you there?

Dr Jones :

I am going offline now.Please ask if there are doubts.I will answer them when I am back online.Regards.