Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572
Medical

I am 75 years old and having vaginal bleeding. What is causing

I am 75 years old... Show More
I am 75 years old and having vaginal bleeding. What is causing this?
The primary concern for vaginal bleeding after menopause is either endometrial cancer (cancer that arises in the lining of the uterus) or endometrial hyperplasia (benign overgrowth of the lining of the uterus). There are other possible causes, such as other types of growths, infections, thyroid disease, or a systemic condition that causes increased bleeding. Hormone replacement therapy can also cause bleeding, although it is primarily seen early in the course of treatment. It is important that any woman with post-menopausal bleeding be seen to determine the cause of the bleeding.

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I had such bleeding a year ago and then it stopped. Now it stared again this is the 3rd day. Is this a cancer that is easily treated? Should I see my Doctor right away? Will I need to have a histertapy? I am very upset as I had breast cancer last June 2010.
Yes, in general, if this is due to endometrial cancer, it is easily treated. One of the general characteristics of endometrial cancer is that they tend to cause bleeding early in the course of the illness, so are usually found early and consequently easier to treat and achieve cure. The endometrial hyperplasia is a benign overgrowth that apparently is a precursor to the development of cancer. The appropriate treatment would depend upon what is found. It may simply require a D&C (dilatation and curettage), which scrapes the lining of the uterus, but also may require a hysterectomy.

This is something for which you should be seen soon. It does not require an emergency room visit unless there is such a large amount of bleeding that it may require fluid or blood replacement. Otherwise, it can be seen in the office, but it should not be significantly delayed.