Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Can I crush and add water to my Zanaflex 4 mg pill and heat

Customer Question

Can I crush and add water to my Zanaflex 4 mg pill and heat it up and reduce the liquid to help concentrate the dose and then inject it? I don't want to try this if it would be fatal but I need more relief then I am getting. I have Fibromyalgia and Degenerative Joint Disease plus Hypothyroidism..... I need pain relief very seriously... Help!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 5 years ago.

No, you cannot do this.

You will not be able to crush the Zanaflex to the very fine particles it needs to be in (micronised form). Plus the tablets contain inactive ingredients like silicon dioxide colloidal, stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose and anhydrous lactose which could be fatal when injected.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you get those other ingredients out? I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't desperate. I need more pain relief and I see my pain management doctor on Monday, November 28th. I will try really hard to be persistent about giving me a higher dose of the Fentanyl or Opana, but I am in a lot of pain at this point in time...What can you suggest??
You cannot get them out, I am sorry.

I realise that you are desperate for pain relief but it would be fatal to try crushing the tablets and using them for injections.

If your pain is very severe , please go to the ER - you will be able to get an injection . But there is really nothing you can do at home besides the pills already prescribed to you. Sorry.

I hope this helps.