Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a bad cough nothing comes up it almost makes me throw

I have a bad cough nothing comes up it almost makes me throw up. But at night it is worse I get a tickling in the back of my throat. Now I am doing a sinus rinse, plus I am on advair, spriva, a water pill hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg plus Flonase, and allegra. Please tell me why am I waking up every couple of hour coughing with this itch in the back of my throat. The only thing that helps is a cough drop, but I don't like going to sleep with it in my mouth and when it is gone in a couple of hours I'm coughing again. Please help, Donna
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
There are a number of possibilities
has your doctor examined you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, she thought that the allergy medicine would do the trick. And she also put me on Lisinopril, and she wanted me do do a sleep study. So I went to another doctor for that and he said that he didn't what to jump in to that with out trying first to stop Lisinopril and go back to the Hydrochlorthiazide. Because he wanted to see if that was the cause but here I am hacking my head off. I work around the public at a resturant and my customers don't want to here me hack. And I know its not contigous or my whole crew would be sick bt now.
OK
This can be GERD or reflux disease, especially since it is worse at night.
Maximum nexium therapy for 2 to 3 weeks would be a test of this theory.
Or you could have Ph monitoring of the esophagus to prove it first..but better to get relieve.

This cause is typically overlooked by many docs.
See a GI doctor if you need to.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I also takePrilosec 20 mg I didn't think it would had anything to do with what is wrong with me
Prilosec 20 is not necessarily maximal therapy
And you can have reflux even if you are maximally treated in which case Ph testing is needed.
Have you had pulmonary function testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not for sure what that is. Are we talking about my heart. What is the test for?

You blow into a tube attached to a machine on a bunch of different settings, then have inhaler treatments and do it again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes when my asthma was bad last year.
OK
these are the possibilities
a. asthma is not controlled
b. you still have acid washing up into the throat, and this is very likely.
c. both of these.
d. there is a lesion in the throat...a growth...a scope would be needed to see.
A GI doctor could in fact scope all the way to the stomach....if indicated.
e. you could have a chain reaction cough reflex that simply needs to be interrupted...codein would do this.
f. you have a chronic sinus infection and post nasal drip irritating the throat...a CT scan of the sinuses would show if this is the case

Go over this list with your doc.

good luck

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc