Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My husband was just diagnosed with shingles. Hes had the

My husband was just diagnosed with shingles. He's had the rash since Saturday. Today is Wednesday am. I have not had the shot. Is he contagious to the point that my getting the shot ASAP will not help me? Should I try to get the shot ASAP?
We just finished a trip out state to see our 17 month grandson? How is he affected?
Our daughter is 10 weeks pregnant? Concern for her?
Christmas is 4 weeks away? Can daughter and grandson come?
Our son's wife has many allergies. Should she stay away at Christmas?
Is shingles contagious?
When can my husband go out in public?
He doesn't shower daily. Should he with the shingles virus?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Did your husband have the rash when visiting your grandson?
Has your grandson had the chicken pox or the vaccine?
Has your daughter had the chicken pox?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, Denny did not get the rash until 5 days after leaving PA.

Baby Caleb has not had chicken pox. When is the vaccine normally given? I don't know for sure if he's had it.

I have spring, 1980 written on her immunization record. She would have been 2. I don't remember her case, but I'm guessing that the vaccine was not available back that far, so she must have had the chicken pox.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you...

Shingles is contagious to anyone who has not had the chicken pox.
So, if you have had the chicken pox, you are safe. You cannot catch shingles from your husband.

Baby Caleb, if he is receiving his normal immunizations, should have gotten the chicken pox vaccine at 12-15 months.
Since your daughter likely had chicken pox, she is also safe to be around your husband.

Shingles is transmitted mainly through direct contact with the rash. It is also thought that airborne transmission does occur through viral spread from the lesions, although this is less common.

If your husband did not have the rash when at your grandson's house, there is minimal to no risk of transmission.

Your husband can go out in public at any time as long as he keeps the rash covered.

He can shower as he normally does. He does not need to shower more often with shingles.

By christmas, your husband's rash should be gone. It typically will crust over in about 10 days. The rash is no longer contagious once it is crusted over.

Your son's wife and her allergies should not keep her away. If she has not had the chicken pox or if she has a low immune system (HIV, chemotherapy), that is the only reason she should stay away.

Lastly, both you and your husband should receive the shingles shot at some point.
You do not need to rush out to get it as you will not get shingles from your husband as mentioned above.

I hope I have answered all of your questions,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Abby,

All of what you say makes sense. Thank you. One clarification? If my husband has had shingles, why should he get the shot? Also, if there are any complications, such as continued nerve pain, or the rash going to the ear and eye, when does that typically happen?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
That is a good question..
Despite the fact that he has had an episode of shingles, it is still recommended that he receive the shot.

With the rash, it usually stops breaking out in new crops after 3-4 days. If he has the rash on his face and it has not affected his eye or ear by now, it is unlikely that it is going to occur.

Post-herpetic neuralgia-the continued nerve pain, is pain that persists after the rash is gone. It is defined as pain that persists longer than 4 months after the resolution of the rash.

Many people will have pain for up to 30 days during and after the rash.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your time. I feel much better now. Reassurance is often the best medicine, especially in the middle of the night. Take care of yourself in that you are important to many people, and you helped me to maybe sleep a little tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

I am glad to have helped..and thank you for the kind words.

Take care,

Dr Abby