Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I have pain in my lower abdomen just below my belly button.

I have pain in my lower abdomen just below my belly button. It is not severe. I also feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but cannot. I do not have a fever. I am thinking about going to emergency because I am afraid of appendicitis, which my brother had. Do my symptoms
sound like I should go to the emergency room, or is it just constipation, or something else? I have had the pain for a couple of days and it is a little more prevalent now.
Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Have you undergone any tests so far?
Is there any other known medical illness?
Hard stools?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No tests regarding this pain. I am on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have a small ulcer. Yes, hard stools, no nausea and no vomiting.

No blood in stools.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
The pain you are having can be due to different causes.Most common one are:Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix),bowel obstruction,Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) with or without gallstones,food allergy,hernia.Other less common causes are:intussusception,Diverticular disease, including diverticulitis.It can simply be due to gastritis/gastric ulcer or constipation.

As the pain is not severe,you can wait & watch your symptoms.Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available without a prescription.If even with this medication,your pain is not relieved,then you need to go to ER.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only have omeprazole. Can I take that instead of zantac?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Yes,you can take omeprazole 20 mg. It will also help greatly.