Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Pain between shoulder blades that feels tight for about 6 weeks

Pain between shoulder blades that feels tight for about 6 weeks accompanied by pain in the inguinal region that feels like a strained tendon or ligament. also sometimes hamstrings and gluts feels strained. I am female over 50
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

It seems likely you have developed muscle pain at the shoulder blades, inguinal region, hamstrings etc.

Mysticdoc :

The common cause is the muscle weakness from lack of exercise and overuse of these muscles.

Mysticdoc :

in other words lack of exercise can cause these symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be muscle diseases.

Mysticdoc :

inflammatory conditions can cause this.

Mysticdoc :

Certain medications also can affect the muscles.

Mysticdoc :

fibromyalgia is another possibility but this is diagnosed only after ruling out the inflammatory conditions.

Mysticdoc :

These symptoms may be unrelated as well.

Mysticdoc :

That is, shoulder blade pain can be either rom muscle strain or excess stretching.

Mysticdoc :

groin and hamstrings can be separate issues as well.

Mysticdoc :

You need to get some blood tests namely: blood count with differential, sed rate, ANA titer, RA factor, Anti Jo1 antibodies etc.

Mysticdoc :

A clinical evaluation by a rheumatologist will be better to rule out any underlying inflammatory condition.

Mysticdoc :

Physical therapy may very well prove to be effective in treating these symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Medications are nonspecific before establishing any proper diagnosis.

Mysticdoc :

Hence physical therapy should be given preference.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes

Customer:

can i ask more questions

Mysticdoc :

yes sure

Customer:

are these different areas of pain related...that is could I have injured a back muscle and then it travels down to other areas?

Mysticdoc :

yes possible.

Mysticdoc :

that is why I suggested they may or may not be related.

Customer:

yes, i see. I suppose I am just wondering if that is likely since they seemed to creep up on me at about the same time and are continuing together. I don't seem to have one without the other. right before these symptoms occurred, i had worn a platform type shoe, which I never usually do, and wore them for 10 hours. The next week or so I had done furniture moving and other physical activities. So, I am wondering if these things may have caused the problem. In your opinion, if it were an injury from overuse, what might have been the most likely muscle it happened to.

Mysticdoc :

the muscle that are used most during moving will liely get injured most.

Mysticdoc :

hence shoulder blader lower back and lower leg muscles are affected commonly.

Mysticdoc :

this may be related to the furniture moving.

Mysticdoc :

since you do not have any weakness, this is unlikely any serious condition.

Customer:

is it common for it to be lasting this long?

Mysticdoc :

yes this can since you are using these muscles every day.

Mysticdoc :

Physical therapy will be helpful in faster recovery.

Mysticdoc :

Hence you should consider seeing a physical therapist.

Mysticdoc :

You can still get those blood tests i recommended just to be on the safer side.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes

Mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT, if you do not have any other question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:

Just one more question. I would like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible before I go for an appointment. So, can you please explain to me in a simple way, which muscle or tendons are connected that could cause a tight, rubber band like feeling between the shoulder blades, with pain in the hamstrings and mostly the left side inguinal area (the ligament or whatever it is) at the top of my thigh that connects to the groin area. And, how concerned should I be that these type of symptoms could be an organ problem or cancer? Should i push the doctor to test for these things? That is all and thank you.

Customer:

are you still there?