Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently noticed a small scab on my penis shaft. It was not

I recently noticed a small scab on my penis shaft. It was not particularly painful, and I did not have any pain, tingling, lesions, ulcers, or visible red bumps prior to noticing the scab. I did have sex the day prior to noticing the scab, and there was a lot of hard grinding with my pants and underwear on prior to sex. My question.. before a scab forms from an STD like herpes, would I feel and notice an ulcer/red bumps etc., prior to the scab forming? Maybe I had red bumps or whatever, but just didn't notice or feel it? As far as I know, I do not have genital herpes, since I have always had one sexual partner, and none that I know of has genital herpes and I have been with the same woman for the past 5 months monogomously, and this is the first time such an episode as happened. I suppose hard pelvic grinding could cause a sore and a scab to form?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

There is always an ulcer from herpes before scab forms.

Mysticdoc :

Besides herpes ulcer will not develop so quick within a day.

Mysticdoc :

This is likely from vigorous sex.

Customer:

so it would be noticeable and painful once it starts to develop?

Mysticdoc :

other stds like gonorrhea or chlamydia do not cause scab formation.

Mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

So noticing a scab suddenly could be what? i guess abrasion from sex?

Mysticdoc :

yes abosultely correct

Mysticdoc :

abrasion from sex.

Mysticdoc :

do not worry this is not std.

Customer:

Just for curiousity, and since I have your attention, a herpes is painful?

Customer:

the sore that is

Mysticdoc :

yes herpes is very painful

Mysticdoc :

the blisters appear in crops --not single

Customer:

I see...and how long does it take for it to develop from redness to open ulcer to scab?

Mysticdoc :

redness to ucer 2-3 days

Mysticdoc :

ulcer to scab 5-7 days

Customer:

and of course pain throughout the process?

Mysticdoc :

yes correct

Mysticdoc :

after scab formation pain is usually gone

Customer:

I see... does male penis skin of varying degrees of thickness and sensitivity?

Customer:

I'm guessing it does, since sexual grinding may have caused this, and I may need to be more careful not to injure my member!

Mysticdoc :

yes it is.

Mysticdoc :

and you should be careful to avoid any penile fracture

Customer:

what's that?

Mysticdoc :

the breaking of penis muscles rom vigorous sex--very painful and penis is swollen

Customer:

oh okay...

Customer:

thank you... you've been very helpful. Was just worried when the scab suddenly shows up with no prior redness or anything that would be typically associated with an STD.

Mysticdoc :

please do not worry.

Mysticdoc :

you are safe

Mysticdoc :

best wishes

Mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT, if you do not have any other question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:

Thank you... I will accept. May I ask one last question?

Mysticdoc :

sure

Customer:

What would be the first sign of a herpes outbreak? Is it the same always, or different depending upon the person?

Mysticdoc :

usually pain and appearance of blister lesions ( like bumps with fluid inside)

Mysticdoc :

tingling or burning pain can be experienced as well.

Mysticdoc :

That is about it

Customer:

how large are the bumps, like a pimple size I guess? and in clusters you said right?

Mysticdoc :

yes correct --you got it

Customer:

thank you... Thats it. have a great day.

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD