Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

what are normal testosterone levels for men age 55

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 years ago.

skindoctor2000 :

hello

skindoctor2000 :

thanks for using justanswer

Customer:

skindoctor2000 :

i will be answering your question

skindoctor2000 :

The testosterone levels in men usually decrease with age. They gradually begin to fall from the age of 40 years and decrease by approximately 0.3% per year. It has been estimated that up to 20% of men over 60 will experience a decline in androgen production that is significant enough to warrant a diagnosis of androgen deficiency.

Customer:

ok

skindoctor2000 :

Normal levels of testosterone fall between 250 and 800 nanograms of testosterone per deciliter of blood.

skindoctor2000 :

To determine whether or not you are experiencing a deficiency and what may be causing it, your doctor can measure the amount of testosterone in your blood with blood tests. In addition to measuring testosterone levels, doctors sometimes measure prolactin levels to make sure your pituitary gland is functioning properly. Further blood tests, such as serum FSH, LH and thyroid tests, may also be necessary.

Customer:

so what is normal range for free Testosterone I am told mine is 28 and the Bio....something is 56.5 after having the blood test

skindoctor2000 :

could you give the full details in units

Customer:

No I do not have the paper yet, as I am away on travel and Nurse called said My Free was 28 and normal was 46 to 224 and my Bio..something was 56.5 and normal was 110-575

skindoctor2000 :

The typical male testosterone level is between 250ng/dl to 850 ng/dl. In a 55year old man normal testosterone levels are around 500 ng/dl.

skindoctor2000 :

so levels do state are lower than normal range

Customer:

Thanks..Looks like REALLY LOW....

Customer:

Bye

skindoctor2000 :

Do you Accept what I have explained?

If you Agree with the Answer you can press the Green Accept Button below. You can also consider a feedback or a Bonus as a credit to my work . Let me know if you have any further questions. The Answers cannot replace the advice on clinical examination.