Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On my blood test results my eosinophil % was 10.3.Basophil was 0.4 and monocyte absolute c

On my blood test results my eosinophil % was 10.3.Basophil was 0.4 and monocyte absolute count was 0.2. Does this suggest an illness or disease? My doctor mentioned this as a concern, but suggested no follow up. She said we should test again in 6 months. Do you concur there is no need for other follow up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
Can you give the complete result of the white blood count and differential?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

WBC was 3.6.

I don't know where to find the differential.I don't think I got that with my copy of the results.

The differential may not be separately labeled, but it is the percentages and/or absolute counts of each of the different type of white blood cells. You have already given part of the differential in the original question. Do you have the remainder?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The rest were in the normal range.

Hemoglobin 13.6, Hemocrit 38.2, MCV 88.8, MCH 31.6, MCHC 35.6, RDW 12.2, PLT 212, Mean plat volume 9.9, neutrophil 50.5, lymphocyte% 32.4, Monocyte% 6.4, Basophil% 0.4, Neutro[phil absolute count 1.2, lymphocyte absolute 0.2, eosinophil absolute 0.4, basophil abs. ct 0.0.

Phew!

I suspected that they were all normal, or you would have included them in the original question, but it is better to interpret the white count and the differential in its entirety, rather than just a portion.

Since the total white blood count is the sum of all of the various types of white blood cells, an increase or decrease in the absolute count of one type will yield a decrease or increase in the percentage of all of the others.

In your case, there is no reason for concern. The absolute counts of the various types of white blood cells are all OK. The higher percentage of eosinophils is due to the relatively lower amount of neutrophils and lymphocytes. In both cases, they are in the normal range, but they are in the lower portion of the normal range, which causes the total white blood count to be on the low side and the percentage of the remaining types of white blood cells to be elevated. In this situation, there typically would be no need to perform any follow-up of the blood count, unless there is another medical condition that warrants a repeat blood count.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reaassurance!