DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Sometimes after I eat a meal, I feel full for 12 hours after

Sometimes after I eat a meal, I feel full for 12 hours after eating that particular meal. I also have severe constipation. I have a bowel movement about once every 4 days. Usually after I eat the first meal, there is no problem. But whenever I have this problem, it's usually after I have eaten the 2nd meal for the day. Why is this? Thank you.

DOC EK :

Hi

DOC EK :

sorry to hear this

DOC EK :

any pain in your abdomen?

DOC EK :

since how long you have this problem

Customer:

Occasionally, but nothing major. It has only happened a few times and lasted for 10 seconds and then quickly went away.

DOC EK :

so this is something which is new and was not there before?

Customer:

The constipation I have had for a very long time. I had a colonoscopy 9 years ago and another one 3 years ago and both times the results came out fine. I have had the problem before of feeling full, but the problem had gone away. Before, I would get full very fast. I took Nexium and felt better. About a month ago, I had similar problems again. I then took Prilosec, and felt a little better. And last night is when I had the problem that I am describing now.

DOC EK :

what is your height and weight?

Customer:

I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and I weigh 320 pounds.

DOC EK :

any other medical problem or medicines you are taking?

Customer:

I take Diovan HCT for hypertension, and I am off and on Synthroid. I still have to go get blood work done to see if they need to change my Synthroid.

DOC EK :

thanks a lot for the information

DOC EK :

a few things to consider here

DOC EK :

as you must know that your weight is on higher side so that do contribute to some degree of indigestion and dyspepsia

DOC EK :

secondly i would like you to have yout thyroid function tests done as well as it can also be contributing to your constiption and weight

DOC EK :

you can take prilosec and some prokinetic like domperidone to see if it helps

DOC EK :

another thing which can be responsible is an inflammed gallbladder so you should consult your doctor and get evaluated on these lines

Customer:

What is dyspepsia?

DOC EK :

a condition in which there is impaired digestion and can produce such symptom as pain and fullness after meals

Customer:

So, if I take action on these 4 factors, I should be O.K.? I have lost 15 pounds so far. I do intend to take care of the blood work by Saturday. I do have a supply of Nexium and Prevacid. And now that you mentioned it, I will ask my doctor about my gallbladder.

DOC EK :

yes you should get better as far as your symptoms are concerned but then the exact treatment will be decided once a diagnosis is made after further investigations

DOC EK :

i am available to answer if you have any more question

DOC EK :

click ACCEPT if you have got the answer so that i may be credited for my work