Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I tested positive for Cardiolipin AB (IGM) with 20H, My Mother

I tested positive for Cardiolipin AB (IGM) with 20H, My Mother has lupus but there was no Lupus Anticoagulant detected in my blood. I am 22 weeks pregnant. A year before I got pregnant I had been taking baby aspirin for 1 year. During that year I was in the hospital 3 times with stomach issues and bleeding problems... but most doctors told me they did not think it was related to taking the baby aspirin. During my first trimester I had some bleeding and was told to stop the baby aspirin. Since I have stopped All my stomach issues went away and I never felt better. At my last appointment my OBGYN told me that maybe I should go back on the baby asprin again.... I told him about my concerns with the stomach and he told me to consult with my hemotologist.... I am sure my hemotologist is going to tell me to take it..... is there any natural things I can do that have the same characteristics as baby aspirin? I heard fish oils, omega 3's even strawberries can act like blood thinners. I just want to do whats right for my baby. P.S. MY mom had 5 kids with no issues and she had lupus.... she also has mediteranian anemia. My sister on the other hand had 3 misscarriages. and My brother at the age of 39 suffered a mild stroke and also has the anemia from my mother. Can you please give me names of things I can research, is this thing i tested positive for a syndrome or something that I can look up, perhaps I can take the asprin 2 or 3 times a week as apposed to every day. I used to take ecotrin coated, maybe there is another brand I can try. Also not sure if this has anything to do with me but my father is on cummadin blood thinners and baby aspirin and he can only take ecotrin because he told me he would get severe diarhea with the asprin which is kind of what I was experiencing.

Thank you I look forward to your advice. My hemotologist appointment is wednesday.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
Great question
Of course you should still get the hematologists opinion
It does not sound like clotting has been any type of issue.
Aspirin actually is a fairly natural substance about one step in synthesis from white willow bark.

No natural anticoagulants have a lot of study oar a predictable effect however.
Fish oil stops platelet aggravation, is safe and even recommended during look into this, along with your hematologist.

Other anticoagulants
Black fungus [woodear mushroom]
red clover

natto appears to be very powerful and should be avoided
not much is known about ginkgo in pregnancy
as with red clover

but the others are probably OK, under supervision.

If you want an MD trained in this.
look at
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since this antibody makes me prone to clotting how could this affect my baby, I just dont want to have a misscariage so late in my pregnancy wondering if there was something I could of done about it like taking the asprin. Also because I tested 20H does this mean i have Anticordiolipin Syndrome? or No.

Thank you so much I appreciate the advice.

The association is with miscarriage
However, not in all cases at all.
It is more and more less likely as pregnancy goes on
But the hematologist might recommend low dose aspirin, and even prednisone..depending.
AS these have been shown in studies to be safe and efficacious.

However, you have had no history of problems.
So treatment has to be tailored to you as well.
Fish oil is a good idea..that can be stated conclusively
good luck