Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Lower leg from knee to ankle is swollen, red and hot to touch.

Lower leg from knee to ankle is swollen, red and hot to touch. I had this once before and I think they said it was a blood infection and they gave me antibotics to combat it. They also checked my leg for blood clots. I cant remember the name they called what I have. I think it started with an M. I had it about 3 years ago and seem to have it back. Last time it was on my ankle and foot.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any chronic health problems such as diabetes?
Are you feeling dizzy?
Heart palpitations?
Short of breath?
Any fever?
Lastly, is your question today what the name of the condition is?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello no to all of your answers but i just remembered the nane of what i had celeitis
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you are correct.
Cellulitis, however, is an infection that is localized to the skin.
It can spread into the bloodstream, which is a signficant concern when people have this infection.
Symptoms that it has spread include fever, dizziness, flu-like symptoms, increased heart rate and shortness of breath.
Because cellulitis is a serious infection and given the extent of the redness, swelling, warmth that you are describing, it is important that you be evaluated right away in either an urgent care center or the ER.
You need to be started on antibiotics as soon as possible in order to prevent complications such as spread into the bloodstream.

I hope that you feel better soon

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby