Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Lower middle back-feels like a bruise, excessive thirst, metal taste in mouth, lethargic u

Lower middle back-feels like a bruise, excessive thirst, metal taste in mouth, lethargic usually after a meal. I'm usually a busy body, In ribcage, I get discomfort like bruise or burning sensation.
I have been to doctors and my labs come out normal, yet I feel miserable. I have experience these symptoms for more than a year. I already went to Baylor College of medicine, since they were highly referred and they didn't do anything or find anything.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Can you describe what evaluation has been done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CT Scan

Cat Scan-with dye

Ultrasound

Lower GI

Upper GI

Blood work

On what body part were the CT scans and ultrasound done?
Do you know which blood tests were done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many questions do I get today? I'm confused on what the $75 entitles me to.

CT Scan, ultrasound, cat scan were done on all my main organs.

Folate, Hepatitis a total AB, HEP B core antibody Total, Hepatitis B surface antibody Qual, Hepatitis B surface antigen, Hepatitis C antibody, Basic metabolic Panel, Hepatic Function Panel, Lipase, amylase, CBC W Absolute neutrophil count, Gamma GT. Can you answer the top questions

The amount that you have paid will include all interactions relative to this question.

To be able to answer a question, it may be necessary to seek further information. In your case, since you have already seen several doctors, the best that can be done over the internet is to review the evaluation that has been done to see if there is a diagnostic test that has not yet been done.

When you say the CT scan was of the main organs, does that mean a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis? Or did it also include the chest?

Were the hepatitis titers checked because there was any abnormality on the liver tests or history of liver disease?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CT scan abdomen and chest, I don't remember the pelvis. All lab was normal, withthe exception of my cholestoral and my triglycerides being a little high. My suger was borderline.

I also had an edoscopy, gallbladder ultrashound, colonoscopy and one tiny polyp was removed.

My concern is why do I feel these unusual pains and disconfort, yet doctors can't find anything.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several other conditions to consider in this situation.

Pain in the back and chest certainly can be a musculoskeletal condition, including several problems within the spine, such as degenerative disc disease or arthritis. Evaluation of the spine may require an MRI of the spine. There also can be primary conditions affecting the muscles, such as an inflammatory condition. There are also some musculoskeletal conditions that cannot be detected by a specific test, such as fibromyalgia. It may be helpful to see a Spine Specialist or a Rheumatologist.

Another possibility to consider is an endocrine problem. Excessive thirst is a common symptom of diabetes mellitus, but a borderline blood sugar would not be sufficient to cause this symptom. The thirst from diabetes mellitus is due to excessive urination from a blood sugar that is in excess of 180-200. There is another form of diabetes, diabetes insipidus, which is due to a deficiency of a different hormone, ADH, or inadequate activity of the ADH, such as from kidney disease. The diagnosis of diabetes insipidus involves tests of the blood and urine for comparison. It may help to see an Endocrinologist for evaluation of this condition.

If there is tenderness in the area of the gallbladder, it also may be reasonable to check a nuclear gallbladder study, referred to as a hepatobiliary scan. Most people with gallbladder disease have gallstones, which are well detected by an ultrasound. A small percentage of persons with gallbladder disease do not have gallstones, referred to as acalculous cholecystitis, and the test that can detect this condition is the hepatobiliary scan.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why haven't the doctors refer me to these specialist?

I want names of specialist that have diagnose rare disease or conditions. Do you know of any here in Houston

I do not know why your doctors have not referred you for these evaluations. An evaluation of someone with unexplained symptoms will usually first focus on the common conditions, but if there remains no explanation, it is appropriate to consider less common or unusual conditions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pain in my back and the center of my chest is not bone or muscle related. It feels like a bruise. Do you still think is a musculoskeletal condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my pain in the back and front are not bone or muscle related, they don't feel like they are. Both feel like a bruise. Do you still think is musculoskeletal?
Yes, many musculoskeletal conditions can cause pain that feels like a bruise. Over the internet, I cannot say that it is a musculoskeletal condition, only that it could be a musculoskeletal condition. Even if it is a bruise, it has to be a bruise of something, and the back and ribcage is primarily composed of musculoskeletal components.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.