Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

experiencing alot of neck and back pain, and generally wake up feeling

Customer Question

I am 32 years old. A month ago I woke up and for an instant felt paralyzed. Since then I have been experiencing alot of neck and back pain, and generally wake up feeling like a 90 year old man. I feel stiff and sore all over and have very little energy. I'm work out, eat right, and am taking no medications. I'm 6' tall, and weigh 160.
I had blood work done 6 months ago, and everything was normal. The only health issue I have is genetically high cholesterol (220). I definitely don't feel like I should be feeling this bad. My symptoms are so general that I'm not sure what to even tell a doctor. Also, my doctor just left his private practice and went to work for the VA, so I need some advise.
Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Does this stiffness happen only in the morning?

Is it all right after that?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm more stiff in the morning, but it continues off and on throughout the day. I have been having tingling and numbness in my lower back for the past few days.
With such symptoms, two important conditions you need to rule out are:
Connective tissue disorders like rheumatic disease
Myopathies

You need blood tests like ANA and CPK.

These tests probably not done in earlier blood tests because they are not done routinely unless looked for.

I suggest - consult your doctor and ask about these blood tests and get them done.

But I have a feeling that it is not this and just a part of stress.

Considering your age and general good health, likely that you do not have any physical condition and just the general stress of life is getting youu down.

So discuss about stress with your doctor too, ask about anti anxiety medicines and whether they would be appropriate for you.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
It just seems to me that with the numbness and tingling that this must be bone or muscle related. I agree stress can cause stiffness but maybe something else is at play here too. The answer given just seems disjointed and doesn't really address what I was asking.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I have noticed your relist
I am curious
Have you had an MRI of the neck
Or the lower spine?
Hello
simply use reply to respond
have not received a post from you even though it came back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No...not lately. 2 1/2 years ago I had surgery to repair my achilles tendon in my right leg.
OK
I would agree that rheumatoid arthritis is certainly in the list but you do not have other symptoms
I agree that you should have a CPK,but you really are not giving other symptoms or myositis, which have weakness.
myopathy yes...possible.
but you need an MRI of the neck to see if you have a disc problem...this sensation you had is very disturbing...paralysis is not normal
and spinal disease can make you stiff all over.
This should be your next step...have your doc check your reflexes..and if they are at all hyper...this will indicate the justification for the MRI
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc