Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

What happens if i took double dose of lisinopril-HCTZ 20-12.5

What happens if i took double dose of lisinopril-HCTZ 20-12.5 for 1 week, I normally take lisinopril-HCTZ 20-25 , but scrpt ran out , so till my new script gets here from express scripts, i thought it was good to double my 1yr old script a day
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you mean you are just doubling the 25 portion of the HCTZ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My dose was 1 pill lisinopril hctz was 20-25, i was taking 2 pills a day for 1 week of 20-12.5,,,so i was actually doubling the lisinopril to 40 correct
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Can you clarify what you are wanting to do, it is a bit confusing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry how do i clarify my first question ,
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
So, you want increase your lisinopril to 40mg and your would stay the same, correct?
What is your current blood pressure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I do not want to my doctor ...i'm sorry this is not working, sorry to bother you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
That is not what I am asking - can you answer the questions I asked....
?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to stay the same as what my doctor perscribed, 20-25.....can i take too much ...you are never to double your dosage which i have been taking 2 pills a day instead of 1...side effects...i had to come home from work
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Well from what I can surmize - is that you are waiting for your prescription to show up in the mail - so I would NOT recommend doubling the lisinopril - so deceasing the HCTZ porttion to just 12.5mg per day for a week should be fine for you to wait a week for pills - this would be better than increasing the lisinopril portion to 40mg -
So do NOT take 2 pills per day, just 1 per day until your new pills come in.
I Hope this helps, and please take your blood pressure at HOME to monitor it.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My normal BP is 124 over 81 now it is 98 over 62
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Then you definitely should NOT be doubling your lisinopril portion - so the 20 - 12.5 version should be jsut fine to take.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate