Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

how long does it take to start loosing weight after h pylori

Customer Question

how long does it take to start loosing weight after h pylori I gained some weight and I am done with treatmeat and eating healthy and exercising and not loosing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
hello,

H. pylori presence or absence should not present you from losing weight. Most often when patients have H. pylori and symptoms of stomach irritation he or she may eat less and lose weight. When the H. pylori is cured and even eradicated usually patients will regain their appetite and gain weight. Presently if you are unable to lose weight it would have to do simply with the fact that you are taking in more calories than you are returning and the presence or absence of H. pylori would have no effect.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have gained weight from the h pylori cause of the constapation and bloating its been 2 weeks and some bloating gone down but not all of it, some people loose from h pylori and some gain I have the type where you gain, my diet of the day is yogurt in the morning a granola bar lunch is a sandwich yogurt and fruit and dinner is a bland meal broiled chicken breast and vegatables snacks inbetween the day are apples or banannas and a granola bar I have been trying to get on my treadmill also, I really dont think I am taking more in then burning, I have heard of people having this problem and I thought you being a expert would know
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
I do know that the only effect of H. pylori on weight would be if a patient has abdominal discomfort or distress they may eat less and lose weight. H. pylori does not cause a patient in and of itself to gain weight.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I would disagree with the other expert as to the answer to your question.
First of all if you have H pylori and it was causing symptoms of ulcer or gastritis food can often act as a buffer in some people, relieving symptoms.
And this would be a stimulus to eat.

In addition...eradication of h pylori can result in weight gain
see this article
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456277

Secondly, your diet is in no way a weight loss diet, relatively high in animal products which means fat.
Also I don't see a lot of plant foods, or food variety.

Finally, you need to have your thyroid checked and this has been completely left out of the discussion.
Not losing despite a diet is a cardinal sign of hypothyroidism.
And with new guidelines, TSH must be under three...this is often missed completely by the docs.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc