Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K

lower right leg swollen from the knee down through the foot...sweling

lower right leg swollen from the knee down through the foot...sweling recedes at night while sleeping but does not return to normal even during this period....went to my gp doctor, sent me to hiospital for ultra dvt found....result- double my 88mg aspirin per day and keep leg elevated....should I see specialist and if so what kind???? I am 64 , approx. 210 lbs ... type 2 diabetes....
left leg swelling...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Is there some redness ? tenderness ? over this leg ?

Any swollen glands in the groin or upper thigh in this leg ?

You have any previous medical issues ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no swelling in groin or upper thigh area....have some bruising on left side of foot down towards bottom of foot...some bruising around ankle possibly due to restriction in shoe as swelling continues while working......I sit to work ....aircraft dispatcher....diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...have been taking 88mg baby aspirin...also aleve everyday due to what feels like arthritic pain in joints.....very slight redness around the calf area
Thank you for your reply.
Well causes in such case can be DVT, cellulitis, injury, gout, osteoarthritis, skin infections, ruptured bakers cyst, venous insufficiency.
As your doppler scan is clear so DVT is less likely option here.
Presence of bruising, redness and tenderness point more towards cellulitis, injury, osteoarthritis, ruptured bakers cyst.
You need is to get X rays of the foot, blood tests to see for infection.
As you are diabetic so i would say in all of the above mentioned causes cellulitis is most likely in your cases. Diabetes can prone to person to infections as immune system is suppressed. This needs to be seen by your doctor as soon as possible as infections (cellulitis) can spread rapidly in such cases.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Have a nice day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you currently board certified to practice medicine here in USA???? any consultation with other doctors for my questions and condition......

Thank you for your reply,

You can go through my profile, i cannot share information more than you can see on the site in my profile because of site policy.

If you are not satisfied with my evaluation i can always opt out and let other experts on the site can help you.

By the way i am expert in internal medicine and cardiology and deal with such cases in routine. More than 8 years of experience in dealing with medical cases.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thankyou for your response... what is the treatment for cellulitis, osteoarthritis ???

Well in this case we use antibiotics.

see this web address.

For osteoarthritis we use painkillers, topical pain killer creams.

see this web address

In your case i would out cellulitis as the more likely cause and need antibiotics like amoxicillin, flucloxacillin e.t.c.. Cellulitis is the condition in your case that needs work up as this can spread if not treated in time.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Only click ACCEPT if you consider my response as helpful. Good luck.