Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

What is the difference between Benicar and Losartan I have

What is the difference between Benicar and Losartan? I have successfuly been on Benicar for several years with no side effects but my insurance company wants me to switch to Losartan. I try to stay active and am concerned about potential side effects. I am able and willing to pay for the Benicar without insurance if Benicar offers some benefits over the Losartan. Thank you for your assistance in deciding this issue.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Well basically both drugs belong to same group of medicine called ACE 11 inhibitors .benicar is Olmesartan.
When compared Benicar is a BTTER DRUG because its top side effects is headache while Losartan can cause Heart attack or myocardial infarction if used for long time.
Both have side effects bur Losartan has more drastic side effects .For a detailed review , please visit ,
Hope I have answered your question.