Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

Can appendicitis pain come and go, or is it a constant pain

Can appendicitis pain come and go, or is it a constant pain that build and builds in severity. If it does come and go, would it come and go over days, weeks, or years? Curious, Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I would like to say that appendicitis pain do build up and give persistent pain in the abdomen along with nausea, fever or sometimes present only with pain and tenderness. The pain is constant and increase in severeity if left untreated and there is a risk of rupture of appendix. I will highly advise if you are having any such pain then see your physician soon as possible because this is a clinical diagnosis. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not having the pain currently but a coworker recently had his out and told me about it which got me thinking. He had pain that changed slightly and built over around 6-7 hours at which point he was already in the hospital. At around 7 hours though, after having a CAT scan, he said pain was less and he started to feel normal. They kept him overnight and operated in the morning as the CAT scan revealed the appendicitus the night before. I had never heard of appendicitus pain coming and going if u wait long enough so i was curious. I had lower right abdoman pain that comes and goes when i get flair ups and ive been to the doctor for it and they never think appendicitus. Its been 2 years now and is there any realstic way that lower right abdominal pain could be appendix related? Could it eventually build to appendicitus? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.

Yes that what I said above the appendicitis pain build up and increase in severity its not a kind of pain that comes and goes for weeks. In your case this don't seems to be appendicitis as duration is longer and your doctor have examined your abdomen so I assumed no sign was present thats why your doctor ruled out this and this is not a typical presentation of appendicitis. You can have abdominal scan done in order to find out the cause of this pain which don't seems to be appendix pain. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well i guess i was curious about the part where my friend felt better after 7 hours of building. Had he done nothing woukd the pain have come back and built again or could he have gone days or weeks with no symptoms? Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
In your friend's case appendix pain was severe and it did become less but was persistent pain. I said no, it is not possible for the appendix pain to present like weeks off or on pattern without any symptoms and there are signs of appendicitis which doctors are expert to observe that during examination of abdomen. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked my friend about the pain and he mentioned that even though the pain lessoned it was only because he was not moving around, and he still would not have been able to walk around much or do jumping jacks , etc... So you are correct. Where as in my case i have been mostly active in the two years regularly which of course would be impossible with appendicitus. Thanks again for the help.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.

You welcome and many best wishes. Yes it is unlikely to be appendicitis in your case. Good luck.

Do accept the answer in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Positive feedback and bonuses will be appreciated.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.