Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am feeling tired for 3 days. Fatigue. Headache on right side

Customer Question

I am feeling tired for 3 days. Fatigue. Headache on right side of head. Muscle spasm on right neck, shoulder and arm. Dizziness. Nauseous comes and goes. Blurred on right eye vision. Please assist with a diagnoses. Andalucia
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

have you ever had this before?

Customer:

No

Doctor-Bob :

What did you experience first? What came next?

Customer:

Pain in right side of head and neck on first day. Then fatigue second with pain. Then nause with pain.

Doctor-Bob :

have your sugars and thyroid levels been under good control?

Customer:

Thyroid yes. But have not been checking sugar level daily. Meter (Acc check) not very reliable. Today reading was LO on first test then 5.3 on second.

Doctor-Bob :

Is your headache in the front, side, or back of head? Is there pain in the eye or just blurring? Do you see any wavy lines or flashing lights in the eye?

Customer:

Headache on front and side only. Pain in eye and bluring. Wavy lines no flashing lights

Doctor-Bob :

It sounds like you could be having a migraine? They can come on with or without warning signs, can involve ocular symptoms and spasm of muscles in the head and neck, and can last for days. Have you tried an adult dose of Motrin or Tylenol, and did it help at all?

Customer:

I have had Migraine in the past. This does not feel like one. Had Voltaren 50 mg x 2 last night and Myprodol capsules x 2 yesterday morning and another two at lunch. All did not help. More tired than worried about headache.

Doctor-Bob :

Have you been able to eat and hold down fluids? Have you been able to sleep?

Customer:

Pain more on neck now than head. Can eat but not normal volumes. Battle to sleep.

Doctor-Bob :

The neck pain could represent secondary spasms from a severe migraine, as the muscles of the head and neck connect near the base of the skull. While migraines are not life-threatening, if this is different than your usual migraines, or if this is the worst headache of your life you should go in and be seen by your doctor. He can check your blood sugar level, which is important to know, and can do a complete neurological exam to make sure nothing else is going on. At the very least you will likely need stronger pain meds to break the cycle of pain and spasm and more pain. You might need a muscle relaxer, or a sedative to help you rest at night.

Customer:

Ok. What about being so tired. Can hardly get up.

Doctor-Bob :

Sounds like you're not sleeping well. This can have a cumulative effect. Do you feel more physically tired or mentally tired?

Customer:

Not sleeping well. More physically tired.

Doctor-Bob :

You may benefit from a muscle relaxer for the neck. They tend to be sedating so they can also help you sleep.

Customer:

Tx.

Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine