Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have a sharp stabbing pain directly behind my right ear lobe,

I have a sharp stabbing pain directly behind my right ear lobe, it hurts most when I push that area, and it has been consistent for the past hour. My boyfriend says it looks like there are small bug bites in that area as well. Also, I have TMJ as do most members of my immediate family. Should I be concerned about this pain, and could any of these things be tied together to causing my pain? I cannot afford to go to a doctor right now in case it is nothing to worry about, so I just want to know if I should get checked.

How long the symptoms are there? How much area is involved? Do you pain inside the ear or throat or any cough and cold? Is there any other symptom? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The symptoms have been going on for at least five hours now. The only area that is involved is the spot direcly behind my right ear lobe where it sinks in, not futher behind where the gland or lymph node is. I have gotten swollen lymph nodes before, this is very different. My inner ear, and throat and all other surrounding areas aren't in pain at all. I do have an occasional cough, but I have that all the time because I am asthmatic and I am a chain smoker... The only symptom is the stabbing/throbbing pain, and the only time it hurts more is if I push onto that area. As far as I'm aware I don't have any significant past illness. There are also these small bite looking things directly behind the affected area. And I recently stretched my ear with a new gauge, it was swollen when I first did it, but the swelling and pain from that are now gone. Just telling you in case it could be something affecting the pain, or maybe the cause...
Thank you for the input.

There can be a few probables. This can be due to a skin inflammation or infection. An infection of a follicle can be there. A bite or injury are other possibilities. If you suspect a bite, you should get it checked by doctor to get the nature of it. You can continue advil. You need to take it after meal to avoid irritation of stomach. Neosporin can be applied as well. This will help in case it is an infection.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well neither of the things I have done have helped yet, and I did that over four hours ago. :( Thanks though, I will just keep doing what I have been until I can afford a doctor visit. I don't have insurance and only have part time work right now.
You can need antibiotic for it. You can apply warm, moist compress. This can help with pain. When there is an issue with insurance, a free clinic run by the USA Health Department can be the option for an assessment. They provide affordable quality health care to people.You can click on the link below to get the health center at your place