Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

I have had a sore throat for over 2 months now. The back of

I have had a sore throat for over 2 months now. The back of my throat hurts, seems to have mucus collect when I sleep and seems rough when I pass my tongue over it. Sometimes the back of my throat seems overly dry. Also, my ears hurt and occasionally it seems like a gland in my throat hurts. The side that hurts is the left side right now but it does change sides occasionally. I have had two culture test that were negative, a barium swallow test that showed GERD, which I am treating. So far no one has been able to suggest a treatment that helps. I have an appointment with an ENT specialist but that is still 2 months away and this pain is a problem. It does not hurt to eat but my voice is somewhat horse and more limited than it was. I could use some advice and help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website.

The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu.Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections but the symptoms you have described seems to be most likely due to GERD.It is one of the most common causes of sore throat.

It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there is possibility or H.pylori infection.

Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is the bacteria responsible for most ulcers and many cases of stomach inflammation (chronic gastritis) & GERD.Antibiotic medications are used to treat H. pylori infection.You need Urea breath test,blood antibody test,stool antigen test to detect h.Pylori.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.David.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well... I am treating my GERD quite attentively, but with no change in my condition. I have had a couple of rounds of antibiotics in the last few months and they didn't help either. Like a lot of people with GERD apparently, I worry that it might be throat cancer of some type or barrett's esophagus. It's the worry that is the worst part I think. It could be viral, but I don't know if a viral infection could last this long. Any advice?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I accepted but my follow up question didn't seem to go through. I'm not that familiar with the system here.
Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
It is less likely for viral infection to last for this long.It is too early to say about throat cancer &other causes as you have no symptom that directs towards it.Antibiotic medications are used to treat H. pylori infection.Two antibiotic medications such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), amoxicillin, tetracycline, or metronidazole (Flagyl) for 14 days are usually required.

But first you need tests like Urea breath test,blood antibody test,stool antigen test to detect h.Pylori & then accordingly you will be prescribed with H.pylori kit.Also you need upper endoscopy & gastroscopy test for evaluation.

So I advice you to make an appointment with your gastro doctor.

Regards-
Dr.David.