Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have a dull burning pain under rib cage (upper abdominal

I have a dull burning pain under rib cage (upper abdominal area) on both the left and right side, but more often on the left side. I have had an endoscopy, and it was negative. Can stress cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

stress can cause this.

stress can increase the amount of acid produced by the stomach and this can inflame the stomach and cause acute gastritis which can be short term and not seen on the endoscopy.

do you have lots of stress in your life?

how do you decrease stress in your life?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

Do you think I should have an ultrasound of the upper abdomen area, or a ct scan?

I do not exercise to relieve stress, and I know I should.

I also have right leg pain that comes and goes. The Dr. I went to does not think it is a blood clot or anything. About 2 years ago the Dr. ordered an xray of my right leg and it was negative.

I am 5'7" and weigh 143 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
an ultrasound would be cheaper but may not see as much.

a CT is more expensive and exposes you to low levels of radiation and might see too much. sometimes we see small spots on CT scans and we don't know what they are. most of the time they are normal benign spots, but reports of them can also freak patients out as well. so if you get freaked out at the possibility of a small spot being in your liver which is benign, I wouldn't get a CT.

exercise is a great way to releave stress. it builds up muscles in your abdomen as well.

do you smoke to releave stress? lots of people do. it is not a good idea.

is the right leg pain in your joints? knees? does it change with the weather? does the leg pain radiate from your back? is it every day? blood clots are rare in 45 year olds. usually they happen in older individuals or cancer patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The leg pain does not seem to change with weather. It is sometimes in my upper thigh and hip area, and sometimes it is in my lower calf area. Can low levels of vitamin D cause the leg pain. My cbc did show low levels of vitamin D.

I have never smoked a day in my life, thank goodness! I drink 3-5 glasses of wine per week
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
a CBC would not show low levels of D. it could show low leves of red cells which might be cause of low iron in your diet or low B12 in your diet.

there is blood test specifically to look at vitamin D levels and B12 levels.

most often these vitamin deficiencies do not cause pain in the upper thigh or hip area or calf.

most often this is cause by arthritis or normal wear and tear of the joints.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you find out if the leg pain is just arthritis?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you can do testing such as MRI scans of the hip and knee to see. if they see arthritis changes there. they can perform ultrasound scans of the thigh and calf to see if you have any blood clots or narrowed blood vessels which might be causing your pains. those would be good tests to do.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.