Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

I have a tender pain in between my rib cage that hurts to touch.

I have a tender pain in between my rib cage that hurts to touch. I have recently be diagnosed with gall stones and wonder if it is related.
As well as a simialr pain in my upper butt.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello, from JA.

Pain in between in your ribs if on the right side is likely to be due to gall bladder stones. However, if the pain is no both the sides, it could be due to costochondritis or inflammation of the junctions of the ribs with the costal cartilages.

The pain in your upper butt could be due to many reasons. If there is any swelling, it could be due to abscess or pilonidal sinus.

If there are no lumps, there are other possibilities like phyrifomis syndrome or inflammation of the pyriformis muscle.You can take advil otc for the pain and apply warm compress snd see of this helps. Or , you should see your GP to diagnose any of the possibilities I just mentioned.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

If you would like to give credit for my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON. Feedback and Bonus would be highly regarded.

With Regards,
Dr. Bora.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain is not on either side but directly in the middle where the rib cage joins. There is no swelling nor any lumps around the upper butt pain.
The pain in the middle of the rib cage is possible due to costochondritis (as I mentioned) because this is the site where the ribs join the cartilages. There is no specific treatment and analgesics like advil are usually sufficient.

If the pain is associated with heart burn or acid eructation, you are likely to be having GERD or gastro esophageal reflux disease. take prilosec 20 mg in empty stomach and gelusil.
The pain n your butt is likely to be pyriformis syndrome. The piriformis syndrome is a condition in which the pyiriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve, causing pain in the buttocks . You may need physical therapy for this.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

With Regards,
Dr. Bora.