Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Can you get gonorrhea from kissing? My girlfriend tested positive and after oral sex I de

Can you get gonorrhea from kissing? My girlfriend tested positive and after oral sex I developed a sore throat. Does this mean that I am infected and if I am can I pass the infection to her/ back to her. She got the shot yesterday to cure it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Yes, you can get oral gonorrhea from oral sex on an infected person.

And yes you can pass it back to her.

Get treated today by urgent care or the health department as this can occasionally cause a severe infection.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I know you can get it through oral sex but if I have it in my throat and kiss her can she get it again? Is it passed through kissing?

She can't get it in her vagina but she can get it in her throat and it can cause a severe infection in her.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She got the shot of ceftriaxone Thursday but we kissed Thursday. She should be good as long as we dont kiss anymore and I get tested and treated if I am infected correct?

Yes, you should be okay.

Just make sure you don't do it again until you are treated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lastly, since she tested positive and I developed a sore throat the very next day after oral sex...does this mean that I am infected or not neccessarily?

I would say that its possible and probably but not 100%

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So when I go get tested they need to do a urine and throat swab???

They may. However, they may just treat you with a shot. That would probably be the easiest thing to do.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I go to just get the shot and then the meds for chylamdia and be done. I do not want to go to my home town for this because its just too small and that stuff leaks. No one gives me a straight answer. I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED...JUST GIVE ME THE MEDS...what am I missing??? Urgent Care charges $120.00 just for the visit plus they say the Doc might make me get tested for the two diseases or everything which could cost $400-$500 plus then the meds. STDalert test for all 10 diseases and only charges $235.00 but they can not gvie me the meds/ it take 2 weeks for them to get back to you.

I would try the health department.

Often times, they will treat for free.

Contact your local health department of your city.

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution