Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have been having a plugged and hollow feeling in my ears

I have been having a plugged and hollow feeling in my ears for weeks accompanied with a small plugging of the nasal cavity. However, I don't have any pain like you would with a nasal or ear infection. What could it be and is there something over the counter that I can try?

This blockage of the ear occurs due to Eustachian tube block. The eustachian tube connects the ear to the nose. Inflammation such as a cold causes blockage of the tube leading to collection of fluid in the ear. Take the following steps which will clear this up:
Antihistaminics like Tab. Alavert 10 mg (OTC) one tab. daily for one week.
Decongestants - Tab. Sudafed (OTC) one tab daily (contraindicated in hypertensive patients)
Otrivin nasal drops (OTC) - two drops thrice daily in both nostrils for one week.
Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.
Also try a step known as Valsalva Maneouver: take a deep breath, purse your lips and then take a swallow - this will force air into the ears. Do this as often as possible.
If all this does not work, however, or you develop associated symptoms like pain in the ear, you need to approach an ENT doctor.
I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask.