Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Can poking and prodding at your lymph nodes/submandular glands

Can poking and prodding at your lymph nodes/submandular glands cause them to swell a little?

Recently I went to my doctor recently and on a routine exam said one of my lymph nodes was slightly swollen in my neck. I made an appt with an ENT and he just felt my neck and said all was normal. But I was really freaked out and for the past week have been feeling my neck lymph nodes and gently prodding them.

I also started this weird habit of flexing my throat around the area where the lymph node is. It feels like this has caused the lymph node to swell a little more. It doesn't hurt. Is this possible?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
Playing with the sub mandibular glands will irritate them and make them swell.
And for that matter, any structure in the neck can become irritated with too much stimulation.
If you get your mind of this, exercise, get into some whole body is a very good choice...then you can help correct the problem you are having.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Is the weird flexing of the neck muscles that I started doing a contributing factor to the swelling too?
Yes it can.
You really need to find a whole body therapy so you channel this into productive movement.
it would be excellent
good luck