Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I have this odd bump on my left arm near my elbow. Its not

I have this odd bump on my left arm near my elbow. It's not swollen and definitely not a bug bite. It doesn't itch or hurt and it's approximately 1 cm in diameter. It's been there for a while as far as I know. My right arm doesn't have anything like this.

I know there could be many causes for this, but is this generally a cause for concern?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

how long have you had this?

Customer :

i'm not sure. over a month probably but I haven't been keeping steady track

Customer :

should I be worried? it's not discolored or anything and I don't have any other symptoms

Doctor-Bob :

is it the same color as your skin? is it flat or raised?

Customer :

same color as my skin, and slighty raised

Doctor-Bob :

when you press on it, is it hard, rubbery or soft and compressible?

Customer :

it's not "squishy" but not completely hard either

Customer :

basically, it can be compressed but is not soft

Doctor-Bob :

does it appear to be arising from a bone or bony prominence? or is it just in the skin away from any bone?

Customer :

i honestly can't tell with 100% certainty, but if I grasp the entire area of skin, it feels like the bump rises with it

Doctor-Bob :

that's a good description. now if you flex the elbow is it near the inner crease, the outer curve or in between?

Customer :

what do you mean by inner and outer crease?

Doctor-Bob :

inner where the lines form when you flex your biceps, outer where the big bone is that you use to lean on a desk.

Customer :

the outer curve definitely

Doctor-Bob :

do you have any rashes, abrasions, bites, or sores anywhere on the hand or arm on that side?

Customer :

it's very close to the vertex of my elbow

Customer :

nope

Doctor-Bob :

this doesn't sound like anything to worry about at this point

Customer :

ok. but since i cant really tell if it's attached to the skin or further down near the bone, would it be more serious if it was under the skin or on the bone?

Doctor-Bob :

it could be a lymph node that has swelled a bit under the skin...they're like filters that filter junk from the fluids of the body (bacteria, viruses, allergens, etc)

Doctor-Bob :

other posibilities would include a sebaceous cyst or mole of some sort, none of which are troubling

Customer :

are there really lymph nodes near the outer elbow? I knew there were some on the inner elbow but the out seems all bone to me and no room for any nodes

Doctor-Bob :

In general you are correct, but I would have to examnine to know for sure. there are "major chains" of lymph nodes that we can usually find with palpation, but there are probably thousands of smaller nodes scattered all around that can swell

Doctor-Bob :

I think the thing to do here is to wear an elbow pad to avoid any pressure on the area, and then watch it for the next 1-2 months to see if it changes

Doctor-Bob :

if it gets larger, or more raised, or changes color, or begins to hurt or itch or bleed, you would want to have it looked at promptly, otherwise it may shrink up or disappear on its own

Customer :

should i see my general doctor to a quick exam? it's not expensive for me

Doctor-Bob :

if it's easy for you to do so, yes by all means. he should be able to confirm for you what it is. he may recommend a "watchful waiting" approach. if there is anyting suspicious about its appearance he may arrange for a biopsy.

Doctor-Bob :

either way you will probably feel better knowing its been "eyeballed" by a doc!

Doctor-Bob :

Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer :

ok will do thanks! is it likely this could be a tumor? im a bit of a hypochondriac and terrified it could be some sort of cancer

Doctor-Bob :

You're welcome. Don't worry about it being a tumor. That would be way way down the list of possibilities. You are very young do this would be extremely unusual.

Customer :

also, should i see a general doctor or a dermatologist?

Doctor-Bob :

general doc first, he can refer if necessary.

Doctor-Bob :

If I've been of help to you, and you have no further questions, please remember to accept my answer. I appreciate the acknowledgment! Thanks, and best wishes.

Customer :

thanks

Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine