Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

numbness in my quad It is numb from above my knee for about

Customer Question

numbness in my quad? It is numb from above my knee for about 4 inches
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

how long have you had this?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

about a year

Doctor-Bob :

has there been any injury to the area, or above the area?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

no. I felt it when I jumped out the back of my truck

Doctor-Bob :

is there any pain, burning or otherwise in the area?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

its numb but a little pain to

Doctor-Bob :

do you notice it all the time or only when you actually touch it?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

more when i touch it but i always know its there

Doctor-Bob :

so when you touch it it feels different than when you touch the same place onthe other leg?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

yes...its a numb tingly feeling when i touch the hurt leg and nothing on the other leg

Doctor-Bob :

how far above the upper edge of the kneecap does the numb area start? is it 4 inches "long" (up the leg) or 4 inches "wide" across the leg or roughly 4X4 ...like your truck? ;-)

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

it is my left leg...looking down its about an inch to the left of my knee running up 4-5 inches vertical and about an inch wide

Doctor-Bob :

and there was no broken bone or road rash or any other injury to the area at the time it started?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

no

Doctor-Bob :

the nerve that supplies that area crosses the inguinal area (outer groin) at the "crease" of the thigh, in other words where the upper thigh meets the lower abdomen. this nerve can get compressed in this area from several things...and cause numbness.

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

is there anything i can do? Do i need to go and get a mri

Doctor-Bob :

are you overweight? do you have a paunch or belly that hangs somewhat over the crease when you sit?

Doctor-Bob :

or do you wear thick belts that push on the crease when you sit?

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

No,,i work out 4-5 times a week and have been doing so since i was 14. Maybe overweight from doctors ideal weight buts it because of more muslce. I don't wear belts

Doctor-Bob :

we see this in pregnant women as well for the same reason. at any rate if something is pressing on the nerve here and it gets compressed it "misbehaves" by sending your brain bogus signals...telling it there is numbness or burning when there isn't. if the compression is relieved completely the nerve usually recovers within 1-2 months

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

well i don't know what to do because this has been going on for 11 months

Doctor-Bob :

in your case it may be because your quads are actually large enough to push up against the lower abdomen at the crease

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

i would like the numbness to go away

JACUSTOMER-mnbcirxr- :

could have been that i pinched a nerve when i jumped out of the truck

Doctor-Bob :

not sure how that triggered it, but if this is what is causing the numbness you have to avoid pressure at the upper thigh. sit in a slightly reclined position to avoid pressure here. dont wear tight pants or belts or allow anyone to sit in your lap,etc. The nerve does regenerate over time.

Doctor-Bob :

look up meralgia paresthetica online, it will explain this to you in greater detail

Doctor-Bob :

are you still with me?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.

Hello. It seems we got disconnected before I could answer your final question. A stretch injury like the one you suffered when you jumped off your truck could have provoked this. If you have not already done so, look up meralgia paresthetica. This is the most likely explanation for your numbness. Here is one link that explains it and tells you more about what you can do for it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meralgia-paresthetica/DS00914

I hope you find this helpful.