Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been urinating very frequently it seems like every hour

I have been urinating very frequently it seems like every hour on the hour. i went to a urologist an he put me on levaquin because he felt it may be an infection but the medicine has done nothing and i have finished all of it. I have also been feeling a pressure on my lower abdomen i guess thats my bladder and im a little worried because im only 27 years old. i do consume large amounts of alcohol but im not sure thats causing anything
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
Did the Urologist say what type of infection was present?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i just told him my symptoms and he didn't even test me or anything he just gave me a prescription for levaquin i was really reticent about taking it but my quandary was i didn't know what else to do
Did the Urologist perform a prostate examination?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no he didn't perform any tests at all I'm going crazy over here i hoe its not bladder cancer!
Thank you for the additional information.

There are many different possible causes of increased frequency of urination. In a man of your age, the most common cause would be an infection of the male genital tract, such as prostatitis or urethritis. An infection of the urinary tract, either of the bladder or kidney, are possible, but are much less common in men than in women.

There are some other possible causes of increased urinary frequency. Tumors are a possible cause, but would be extremely unlikely in someone of your age. Kidney or bladder stones can cause increased urinary frequency. There can be a chronic condition in which the bladder is irritated, referred to as interstitial cystitis. There also can be systemic conditions that can cause frequent urination, such as diabetes. Alcohol has a diuretic effect, so can contribute to frequent urination, but since the symptoms have persisted after stopping alcohol intake, this is less of a concern.

The Levaquin is a good antibiotic, but there is no antibiotic that works 100% of the time. In particular, prostatitis can sometimes be very difficult to treat and may require prolonged treatment with antibiotics. Since the antibiotic has not worked, it is necessary to perform an appropriate evaluation to determine the exact cause.