Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

my BUN/Creatinine Ratio result was 26.2 but my creatinine was

my BUN/Creatinine Ratio result was 26.2 but my creatinine was 0.61 and my urea nitrogen (BUN) was 16. What does this mean? my lab report says the Bun/Creatinine ratio is not applicable but the reference range is 6-22.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
There are several considerations in this situation.

The lab report may say that it is not applicable because the ratio between the two results is typically not significant when both lab results are normal. However, the most common cause of an increased BUN/Cr ratio is a low fluid status, although it does not necessarily indicate that it is to the level of being dehydrated. Many adults do not drink enough fluids, and many of the fluids are contrary to hydration, since they contain caffeine. If the fluid status is slightly low, it can cause an elevated BUN/Cr ratio, but more severe dehydration will usually result in an elevated level of BUN in addition to an elevated BUN/Cr ratio. An elevated BUN/Cr ratio can also be due to bleeding into the gut, but it also will typically result in an elevated BUN level. An elevated BUN/Cr ration can also be due to persons that have low muscle mass (the primary source of Cr). At this point, there is no reason for concern, since both absolute values are normal, but it is always reasonable to be drinking fluids to maintain hydration.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could this by because I take Lasix? I have high blood pressure and they're doing all these tests! I'm an RN so I know I may be overly anxious. My TSH was 0.22 Free T-4 was 5.6 Free T-3 was 2.1. So they did Thyroglobulin Panel, Thyroglobulin 14.1, Thyroglobulin Antibodies <20. Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10. ANA Negative. I feel depressed, lethargic, anxiety, gaining weight! I take Benicar, Lasix, Prozac, Xanax prn. What should I do next? My GP seems unconcerned.