Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Extreme bloating and constipation after colonoscopy used colon cleans

extreme bloating and constipation after colonoscopy used colon cleanses and miralax daily and am still very bloated and its been two months. my new doc is telling me to do the prep again. also have used enemas and citrate of magnesia. what is it going to take to get rid of the bloating. 2 x rays have shown constipation although i go multiple times during the day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I would like to say that it is important to diagnose the cause of constipation which seems to be after the colonoscopy in your case. It is also important to rule out any thyroid dysfunction, bacterial overgrowth or any adhesions in the intestines. I will suggest to take Gas-x available OTC which will help you to get rid of bloating. Your gastro doctor should evaluate you in detail along with necessary tests. Add probiotics in diet & fiber too. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been taking gas x extra strength for about 2 weeks with no change in bloating. After my second colonoscopy my doctor irrigated me. My new doctor is not suggesting that and said she thinks my colon doesnt contract. I was told at the time of my latest colonoscopy (aug 29) that i did have some scar tissue from the last one. Anything I suggest to the doctor gets them agitated and they accuse me of self diagnosing and dictating treatment. I am petite and this 37" waist is depressing me and I am already bi polar. I am getting very upset and depressed that no one will listen to me. This current doctor told me to do the MoviPrep again. I honestly cannot tolerate this stress after two months of cleansing and enemas and miralax. I did a prep in October and emptied out for 3 days until i ran clear. And yet now they say i am constipated. If the preps didnt work before why is she saying i need one again???? No one is listening and I am both frustrated and very depressed.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
I would like to say that first of all you can see another gastroenterologist for other opinion & treatment. You can take food enzymes such as Beano if necessary, charco-caps can be helpful too. Intestinal adhesions should be rule out thats why important to investigate that in presence of scar formation. Some time pancreatic dysfunction can also result leading to such symptoms thats why enzyme supplements might be helpful. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doctor,

this is the third gastroenterologist i have visited. do you understand they are not listening to me? they say they see no air in the two x rays i have had. but they do

see stool. the cleansings do not seem to work and i do not know why. they seemed like they worked as i had bowel movements for 3 days until nothing else came out. when i ask them why this hasnt worked they have no answer. i feel if i suggest what you said then they will intimidate me again and accuse me of self diagnosing and i was told to "stay off the internet." one doctor refused to treat me again because i am adamant to find out why i am so large. this is a direct result of the colonoscopy. i was not constipated before it. and oddly enough i go up to 5 times a day now. after i told the present doctor that these procedures had no effect on me she said to just do it. i do not go out because of the embarrassment of my stomach protruding. i cannot fit in my clothes either. i do suffer from dysmorphia which makes me even more destraught in this situation.

this happened before and i went from doctor to doctor and was told either it was middle age bulge or i needed a gluten free diet. took me one whole year to find a doctor that would listen and he irrigated me. he no longer takes my insurance.

Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Yes I can understand your concerns. Follow the guidelines which I gave you above and you will find those helpful. I believe, trust & listen you thats why I suggested few things above which will be helpful for you. I am repeating again here you can take food enzymes such as Beano if necessary, charco-caps can be helpful too. Intestinal adhesions should be rule out thats why important to investigate that in presence of scar formation. Some time pancreatic dysfunction can also result leading to such symptoms thats why enzyme supplements might be helpful. Add probiotics, metamucil or fiber intake in diet as well. I can only give you direction or guidelines here. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
please do not charge my card
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
You have developed a "lazy" colon from whatever cause. There is a relatively new drug called lubiprostone which is effective in many of these types of cases. Trade name isXXXXX your doctor if he approves and give it a trial.

""Press accept."" This is for informational purposes only and does not establish a doctor-patient relationship.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am sorry i forgot to mention that was what i tried back in august and september to no avail.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
suggest to retry with above recommendations for gas.
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.