Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

I have a pain that feels like a sore muscle in the back of

I have a pain that feels like a sore muscle in the back of my right leg, can it be a pulled muscle if no pain was felt at the moment the muscle was pulled? It hurts to flex the muscle, can it be a blood clot if it is in the hamstring region?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question. I would like to say that this can be muscular spasm but important to investigate few important possibilities such as disc disorder in the lumbar-sacral region with nerve compression, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, blood flow obstruction in the leg. In either case, I will advise to see your physician for complete evaluation & tests in order to establish exact diagnosis. There might be need to have few important tests such as x-ray lower back & leg, fasting blood sugar levels, doppler scan of leg might be needed, serum electrolytes. I will suggest to keep your self well hydrated & take Tab. Motrin for pain relief available OTC. Avoid lifting heavy objects unless seen by physician. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain is not constant, it is when I flex the hamstring muscles only in my right leg. Does this sound like a pulled hamstring, or something more serious? I did not notice it happen at a specific time. I did sprint a few times a day before the pain started. It has been going on for four days now.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.

This seems to be something more serious & list of important possibilities which I already mentioned above should be investigated ofcourse muscular spasm or pulled hamstring can also give such symptoms but as the pain is there on & off for the last four days so this need to have detail evaluation done by your physician to investigate any nerve compression, electrolyte imbalance, blood flow obstruction or starting symptoms of clot formation & others like that. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed.