Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

What is a stiff heart causes, treatment and prognosis.

What is a stiff heart? causes, treatment and prognosis.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any other chronic medical problems?
Are you on any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No chronic illness or medication.
Thank you for the additional information.

A stiff heart refers to the ability of the heart to accept the incoming blood between contractions. The heart will typically readily accept the incoming blood, getting larger to accommodate the inflow of blood without much of an increase in pressure. This can occur either as a primary condition or secondary to other conditions that affect the heart, such as high blood pressure.

The treatment and prognosis depends upon the severity of the condition. If it is mild and was an incidental finding while checking the heart for other problem, it is not as worrisome and requires no specific treatment. If the problem is more severe, it can cause heart dysfunction, also referred to as heart failure.

There are several medicines that can be used for treatment, depending upon the severity of the problem, including ACE inhibitors, such as lisinopril, diuretics, such as Lasix, or beta-blockers, such as metoprolol.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What causes stiff heart? My BP tends to be 90/ 70. I am 5'8", 135lbs Play golf, go dancing with my husband.
There are many different possible causes. Common causes include hypertension, poor blood supply, aging, valve disease, and obesity. There are also uncommon causes, such as primary disorders of the heart muscle or pericardium (the sac around the heart).