Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have middle upper abdominal pain with bloating and pain.

Customer Question

I have middle upper abdominal pain with bloating and pain. It radiates into my back, under my shoulder blades sometimes. I always feel like I have hunger pangs and a gnawing in my upper abdomen with a lot of rumbling and growling. The pain can wake me up at night and does not feel better whether i eat or do not eat. A simple glass of water can start the symptoms. I am feeling fatigue and have a heavy full feeling with weight gain in my abdomen only.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Have you had any testing done?
Does anything help it to feel better?
Do you have any chest pain?
Change in bowel habits? (diarrhea and/or constipation?)

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No testing done, but have been dealing with this more on the off for the past 2 months. Nothing seems to make it better, it will eventually subside if I do not eat or drink for several hours, but comes back immediately upon eatting or drinking. Does not matter what I eat or drink either.

No real chest pain, just some discomfort under my shoulder blades occasional.

No diarrhea or constipation per se'

My upper abdomen is very tender, even my skin is tender to touch. And the gnawing hunger is extremely uncomfortable, plus my stomach is very noisy.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry you are having this pain.

This may be a peptic ulcer or gallbladder problems.
Gallbladder problems can radiate to the shoulder blade and the pain is brought on by food. Bloating and nausea/vomiting may be associated symptoms.
Peptic ulcer disease can be made better or worse with food (this is an inconsistent symptom). The description of hunger pangs is a fairly common symptom of ulcer as well.

In order to truly know what is going on, though, you are going to need to have testing done. An ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out gallstones, blood work and, if the ultrasound is normal, possibly a CT scan of the abdomen and a scope of the stomach to rule out ulcers.

Antispasmodic medications may be helpful for you (they are prescription) given your description of a noisy stomach and may help if you have any cramping type symptoms as well.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have already had my appendix and gallbladder removed approx. 10 years ago.

I will make an appointment with a local MD and see what they can decide.

I am tired of being tired and extremely uncomfortable at this point.

I have recently moved to a new location and do not know anyone yet so thought I could get an answer here.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
It is so difficult to give a diagnosis over the internet, especially when it comes to abdominal pain.

When the shoulder blades are involved, this suggests irritation of the diaphragm..
Liver inflammation, pancreatitis (less likely as this usually causes nausea and vomiting as well) are also potential causes.

I hope that you feel better,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your assistance, but really have no more clarity than before the question was asked.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
That is no problem!

Have a blessed evening,

dr abby