911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

i have excruciating pain starting inner thigh down left leg to foot completely mind numbin

i have excruciating pain starting inner thigh down left leg to foot completely mind numbing - not joint pain or muscle cramps - afterwrds there is tingling happens unexpectly standing sitting walking sleeping - also shortness of breath normally I can stand a fair amount of pain but this is beyond anything I have felt usually happens at least once a day sometimes more and then I may have a day where it doesn't happen at all
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

It sounds very much like you have a herniated lumbar dics.

This means that in your low back there may be part of a disc, a structure that sits between the vertebrae, that is pushing out and hitting a nerve. You would feel pain as you describe and it would be positional.

You need Xrays and an MRI if I am correct and there's not much else that can cause this kind of pain.

HERE is a helpful link to explain it in more detail.

You need to see your doctor as soon as you can, and, if you should lose control of your bowel or bladder function you should go directly to the ER as this is a surgical emergency.

As it stands and until you can see someone (and as long as you have no allergy to it) I would recommend taking motrin 600mg four times a day. You may safely add Tylenol too for extra relief.

The positional nature of your pain and the distribution of your pain suggests this diagnosis very strongly.

I am standing by if you have any questions, and by the way, a disc can herniate without any major trauma, a simple twist or bend can do it with discs that are weak from wear and tear over the years.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't feel any pain in my back at all -- only down the front of the leg??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sure it is from disc? as I have no back pain at all
Expert:  911DOC replied 5 years ago.
with a disc there usually is NOT back pain... but usually pain down through the buttocks and then the thigh and to the leg. it's only when discs are herniated from trauma that there is back pain and since you have not had trauma then you probably have what is called an annular tear and a the disc material protruding through it. the disc itself, in the back, does not hurt, but the nerve impingement does hurt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no pain in my buttocks either just down the front of leg
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no pain in my buttocks either just down the front of my left leg
Expert:  911DOC replied 5 years ago.
Then consider also the possiblity of a stress fracture of your hip (pain from this often felt in the anterior portion of the leg).

and take a look at THIS LINK HERE and scroll down to figure number four, and in your original question you said the pain started 'inner thigh left leg to foot...''....

the picture shows the typical distribution of pain from a disc or nerve root problem in the lower back. as you can see, I would suspect that if this is a disc, that an L3 L4 or L5 level disc herniation would approximate the symptoms you describe.

do you have any further questions?