Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

What does mucus and blood in your stool mean

Customer Question

What does mucus and blood in your stool mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Do you have diarrhea or pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Mucous and blood means a person has colitis. Colitis is an inflammation of the lining of the colon and can come from either an infection or from a primary disease of the lining of the colon called ulcerative colitis. It is unlikely but you could also have blood from hemorrhoids and mucus from spasm in the colon and I mentioned this possibility because used a you do not have diarrhea or pain. It is important for you to have certain tests done. First a complete history and physical exam and also a digital rectal exam. Your doctor would want you to have a stool for ova and parasites and culture and sensitivity to rule out any infection. He should then also suggest a sigmoidoscopy and possibly a colonoscopy in order to rule out ulcerative colitis. Once the diagnosis is made appropriate treatment can begin. You should not ignore these symptoms as the sooner treatment begins the greater the response. I would appreciate followup.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.