Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

Can I get genital herpes if my boyfriend kissed me and then

Customer Question

Can I get genital herpes if my boyfriend kissed me and then performed oral sex on me. I get cold sores on my mouth and there was a small bump in the corner of my mouth when he was kissing me. It never flourished into a cold sore but I'm worried that it was the virus. Is it possible that his kissing me while I had the bump and then performing oral sec on me could give me genital herpes?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

This is very , very unlikely, the virus that causes genital herpes is usually herpes simplex 2, but the virus that usually causes oral herpes is usually herpes simplex-1, they are different

This scenario is VERY unlikely to cause this, and I don't think you have anything to worry about
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your feedback I am just very nervous and I've heard that if someone has a cold sore and performs oral sex on someone that could possibly give that other person genital herpes, is that right? If so wouldnt that be type one causing type 2? Therefore if he kissed me when I was having a cold sore and then performed oral sex on me would that be the same kind of situation?
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 2 years ago.
it is possible to get herpes in this way if he has an active cold sore, but it is very uncommon for the herpes 1 virus to cause genital herpes.If kissed you , but never had the cold sore himself before he performed oral sex on you, it is impossible for him to transfer it to you, because the virus needs a few days to cause the infection in him before he would be able to pass it on to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. So, just to be clear, his having my saliva on his mouth when performing oral sex on me when I have an active cold sore is not enough to spread it to me on my genitals? Again, thank you for your promptness with the responses.
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, if he did not have an ACTIVE cold sore, he would not spread it to your genital
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like a second opinion
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
This is typically not a mode of transmission of herpes. If you have HSV1 causing oral cold sores, you also have immunity, so that you cannot catch HSV1 again, in any location (oral or genital). Therefore, he would not be able to transmit the virus from your mouth to your genitals by first kissing you and then performing oral sex. Indeed, even if he had an active case or oral herpes from HSV1, he typically could not transmit it to you during oral sex, since you have already developed immunity. This is the same reason that you would not transmit the oral herpes to yourself with your hands or other personal contact, such as a towel. It is the nature of herpes viruses that the original infection can flare-up again intermittently, but your immunity would prevent a new infection. In medicine, doctors are hesitant to say "never," but this is not a realistic concern.

It is possible (although unlikely), that someone could have oral herpes from HSV2, and then could transmit that infection to you via oral sex. The vast majority of oral herpes is HSV1, but there is a small incidence of HSV2 causing oral herpes. Therefore, if one of these few people with oral HSV2 provided oral sex during a time of an active sore, then it could transmit the HSV2 causing genital herpes.