Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Both of my eyes have been very red for the past few days, but

Customer Question

Both of my eyes have been very red for the past few days, but without discharge, itching, or burning. There hasn't been any pain, just an intermittant aching sensation. I have had something similar before, but the redness had dissipated by the time I was able to get an appointment with my opthamologist. He said that it might have been episcleritis secondary to RA. I've tried Systane moisturizing drops, and Alaway allergy drops, but the redness persists. Do I need to be concerned about this, or can I just wait it out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
You are having Uveitis.

This is an inflammation of the layer of the eye called the uvea, which includes the sclera, the white portion of the eye.

The causes for this are: allergy, infection, autoimmune, glaucoma, etc.

In your case, your doctor had thought it to be autoimmune due to your rheumatoid arthritis.

Your doctor is probably right and this is likely to be the cause.

Consult your doctor for this. Make an appointment and see him again. This is for two reasons: one is to confirm that it is indeed autoimmune and rule out other causes like glaucoma for example, and the second is because you need steroid drops for this which is not available OTC.

You need a proper diagnosis for this and specially to rule out glaucoma and other causes in the eye itself.

If you cannot get an immediate eye consultation, go to your family physician. Your doctor will be at least do the normal tests and also prescribe steroid drops. This will help you till you get to the eye doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any need to leave a message with my doctor's service, or can this wait until his office reopens on Monday?
You can probably wait till monday, unless you have an acute excaberation of your problem.