Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

i havent had my period and im 2 weeks late i have been constipated

Customer Question

i havent had my period and i'm 2 weeks late i have been constipated for a few days and after drinking a moderate amount the next day ive had several bowel movements at first firm then diarrhea i began to bleed from the rectum. what should i do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

You have any previous medical issues ?

Are you taking some other medicine ?

How much blood is there ? has this happened before ? is blood bright red ?

How many episodes of loose motions you have ? are they increasing ? same or decreasing ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ive had at most 6 bowel movements which has been normal with the alcohol consumption but ive never had anal bleeding and i havent missed a period for the past year although it was normal in my teens. ive never had rectal bleeding maybe spotting after numerous bowel movements but never drops visible in the toilet or excessive amounts on tissue without a bowel movement.

These loose motions have decreased in frequency ? they awake you from sleep ? You have fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have decreased in frequency, ive just had another movement with blood. i thought if i was constipated that alcohol would help promote bowel movement i did not think i would have droplets of blood in the toilet or excessive blood residue on bathroom tissue which it have. they do not wake me from sleep, just urination more frequently since my missed period, i have been urinating more frequently, i do not have a fever or sick. i took a preganacy test and it was negative. blood in the toilet or on the tissue has me worried i understand a drop or two from irriation but not a blot or 3 blots all of bright red blood.

Thank you for your reply,

It seems that there might be some injury to the lower part of the gut(anal area) which can be secondary to the constipation or straining. This results in blood stained stools.Other cause is haemmorhoids, In most cases these are isolated conditions and resolve over few days, but if there is continuous blood then you need to get rectal examination to see the extent of the problem.

Symptoms and signs that warrant an emergency visit are too much blood, fast pulse rate, fast breathing rate, blurring of vision, low amount of urine, cold clammy skin.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think that my missed period has anything to do with the rectal bleed or its just the alcohol comsumption within the last day that may have caused it? ive never had it this excessive however i have not missed a period within the last few years? although i have gained alot of weight withing the last 6 months.

Yes missing a period can be due to stress, infections, alcohol. If you were already over due for your period then this is not linked to your recent problem of loose motions and bleeding. If this problem started at the same time when you were about to have your menses then this can be caused by this problem. Any type of stress either due to infections, alcohol, drugs can lead to alteration in the blood hormone levels and can delay the menses.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more queries. Have a nice day.
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K